"Rice and Keats" is not the most graceful title. I typed it in without really thinking it through, and then say back and asked myself "Why?"
The two things I seem to spend most of time on these days are food and literature. I'm no gourmand, but I do cook a lot, and as a South Indian, rice is at the core of it all. The Tamil word annam means both 'food' and 'rice'. No matter how far into the cooking stratosphere I stray, I always come back to the many rice-based dishes that are the core of my food psyche.
I don't necessarily have the same elemental connection with John Keats that I do with rice; my research interests lie in a different direction. But I have found teaching Keats to be one of the highlights of my career. He's a pleasure to teach: the meters are tight, the rhymes fascinating and controversial, and the language is simply yummy. That's not a particularly academic description, but I can think of no other word for his lush, almost tactile wordplay. Best of all, even my poetry-shy students embraced it. After a semester of freaking them out with Shelley, Wordsworth, and De Quincey, reading Keats felt like a love-fest. Teaching Keats always reminds me why I entered this ridiculous profession in the first place.
But the connections between Keats and rice extend beyond the madness of my personal universe. After I started thinking about it, I remembered that one of Keats's best friends was a James Rice, with whom he was living when he wrote a lot of his best stuff, including Lamia, one of the poems that so gripped my students this past semester.
So, rice and Keats. Keats and Rice.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment